Home | Q&A | FAQs | Log-in | Register | Contact us
191, Sanghwabuk-ro, Dalseo-gu, Daegu,
Republic of KOREA 42812 (zip code)
+82 (0)10-4254-4656

How to get criminal check record with apostille
Name Gene Kim  (Homepage) Date 2008-10-31 13:06:56 (Hit : 6,398)


(Canadians must get the police check record including ‘vulnerable sector screening’ and get it notarized at a Korean consulate in Canada.) www.rcmp.ca

'I went to my local police station and filled out a form (name, previous addresses). The police station checked my information on the national data base and then gave me a piece of paper, signed by the head of the police force in my area, stating that I did not have a criminal record. This took about 2 hours.
Then I went to Dublin and got the form stamped (in St. Stephens Green). It was very easy!'

(New Zealand)

(South Africa)

https://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/disclosureOnline/BDO_Instr.htm http://www.apostille.org.uk/
'Regarding the Apostile, you have to send your Criminal Check to the Foreign Commonwealth Office in London. It can take 4 weeks if you send it. However if you visit in person you will have it that day. I was lucky in that my brother lived in London so he could go for me. That is the only way I know you can get an Apostile. I don't think you can send it anywhere else, it has to come from the FCO.'

'As far as the apostille goes.
Getting the apostille can be an extremely trying process. Its not as if you can just call an office of your state government and get one. It took hours upon hours of call time to find out where to get it. Since I am from Texas I was required to get my criminal record from the Texas Dept of Public Safety, cost around 35 dollars. Unfortunately, the state certified criminal record is not good enough for the E2 visa. After hours of research and many calls, I was told that the state secretary's office could do the apostille, and the cost was only 15 dollars. So that would be my advice, to go ahead and call your state government, because as the process reads, "criminal record from state or federal government." Maybe trying to get an apostille from the federal government is the problem?? I'm not really sure. I would just check with the state secretary's office. I can say that no one I spoke to knew what an "apostille" is, that is until I spoke to the person in charge of giving the apostille. I hope that helps.'

'As far as getting an apostille, I don't know why it would be so expensive in Arizona but my apostille only cost me $10. So either the amount costs are extremely different from state to state or she is looking into the wrong option with the apostille. I would suggest that she calls someone within her department of state for Arizona because that is who I went through for mine in New York. I hope this helps.'

'It depends on how he wants to do.  There are two ways to get a criminal background check.  One way is through the FBI and the other way is through his state.  If he goes through the FBI then there are some heavy fees involved and it could take two to four months (he will have to be fingerprinted at a police department, mail the fingerprints to the FBI, they will send him the report after 2 months, then he has to mail it to the State Department to be certified).  If he goes through his state then it would take about 1-2 weeks and it is a lot cheaper.  Each state has its own rules.  I know with Ohio anyone can get a background check done on you from the local police headquarters (they will need your Social Security number, drivers license number, and birthdate).  Then you have to have it notorized (most banks and some law offices provide this service).  Once it's been notorized it has to be certifited by the county clerk of courts.  Once that has been accomplished it must be mailed to the Secretary of State for Ohio (or whatever state he's from) to be apostilled so that the Korean government will accept it.  The difficulty is having it notorized.  You have to be there in person to have it notorized and it can only be notorized in the state from which it orginated.  I got around this because I had given my brother in law power of attorney over my business affairs before I left for Korea so that he could stand in my place.  It only cost me around $15.00 to get it done by the state but through the FBI it would have cost around $150-200.  The U.S. Embassy sends out a circular each month with more detailed info about this (including some links to websites).  I will forward this months circular to you.'

Copyright 1999-2019 Zeroboard / skin by Weforcom